• News

  • Contact details

    Office address-

    Care Extra CIC
    Deal Centre
    3 Park Street
    CT14 6AG

    Care Extra - 07715847356


    Opening hours

    09:00 - 17:00
    09:00 - 17:00
    09:00 - 17:00
    09:00 - 17:00
    09:00 - 17:00



    Covering the cost of care

    Unfortunately home care is not free. However, you may be entitled to have all or some of the costs of home care costs met by Social Services and/or be entitled to state benefits like attendance allowance which is not means tested.

    What is a Care Needs Assessment?

    You are entitled to have a care needs assessment from Social Services. They will assess your care needs and also assess whether you need to pay for care. Social Services may be able to help pay for your care if you have less than £23,250 in assets and savings. The value of your home is not taken into account when calculating how much you have to pay for care received at home. Even if you believe your care needs aren’t important enough or you’re not eligible for funding, make sure you undergo a care-needs assessment. At the very least the assessment will give you the chance to discuss your needs with a health or social care professional who can advise you on what help is available.

    Are you entitled to benefits?

    You may be entitled to benefits – you can find out from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Citizens Rights for Older People (CROP). For example, Attendance Allowance is paid at two different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability. You could get £59.70 or £89.15 a week to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over. The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance, or it may help to make you entitled to other benefits.

    People with physical disabilities and mental health issues (such as Alzheimers) may also be able to get reduced Council Tax bills. You can find out about this at your local Citizens Advice, or contact your District Council direct

    Your Choice

    You can have full choice and control about what services and support you use to meet your assessed needs. You can ask your local authority to arrange the support you need, but increasingly people who are eligible for support are allocated a “personal budget” and can receive it as a cash payment (called a Direct Payment) to purchase a care package that you are happy with from a provider, that you chose. You can also ask a friend or relative to manage the Direct Payment on your behalf if you are not comfortable managing them yourself.

    Your relatives may be prepared to pay for some of your care.

    You might like to reconsider your out-goings and what you spend money on. Paying for care may be a very sensible move if it can make you more independent and give you a better quality of life.

    Care Extra is happy to talk to you about any of the above or to point you towards other organisations that can give you good advice.